[Courses] [Spineful Living, Lesson 4: Saying No!]

Conor Daly conor.daly-linuxchix at cod.homelinux.org
Fri Apr 27 21:00:25 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 10:44:33PM +0200 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Doc Nielsen thought:
> On 4/27/07, Conor Daly <c.daly at met.ie> wrote:
> >And damage to your reputation?  Very important if you're just starting out
> >in your career.  Who will want to hire somebody who was fired from their
> >apprenticeship?...
>
> I'd rather have a poor reputation because of an idiot boss,
> than not stand up for myself and demand what is mine.
> He abused me as an apprentice, giving me jobs i wasn't trained for,
> and failed to provide the tasks i was supposed to have between semesters.
> When i finally stood up to him, he sacked me without so much as a warning.
>
> I think my reputation can handle being fired because of that, don't you?

Oh, I agree.  You should have no problem justifying your choices to
another prospective boss.  What I was saying is that your unfair dismissal
case should take financial account of possible damage to your reputation
as well as just loss of earnings.  I wasn't suggesting that you were wrong
to stand up for yourself...

Conor
--
Conor Daly <conor.daly at cod.homelinux.org>