[Courses] [Spineful Living- Basic Human Rights]

Valorie Zimmerman valoriez at zimres.net
Fri Apr 27 11:30:07 UTC 2007

I've been meaning to post about an issue I'm tackling with my son's school
administration: bullying. Cruelty is one of my push-buttons, so dealing with
the reality that my son was being bullied was the first difficult part of all
this. The rage I felt was so overwhelming, that I decided that I would put
off a full-blown confrontation with the administration until I could marshall
my resources, and work collaboratively with them on improving the situation
for all students, rather than coming in with a flame-thrower and burning the
place down -- which is what I felt like, last year.

Of course I did talk to the counselor who was dealing with one/some of the
bullies at the time, but the last two years, that's where we left it. This
year, I finally felt calm enough to start talking to the Safe School
Coalition for help, and schedule a meeting with the principal, counselor, and
the helpful fellow from SSC. I was amazed at how difficult it was to actually
plan and schedule the initial meeting. I could hardly sleep the night before.

That first meeting turned out pretty well, and although I shed some tears, my
emotion seemed to be a good thing. Tears seemed to let them know how serious
the issue was, and how committed I was to improving conditions in the school.
They seemed shocked, SHOCKED that bullying of gay kids was so common at
Kentlake HS. How that could be, I don't know! Did they never talk to the kids
in the GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) club? It turns out that no, they had not!

A successful confrontation is so empowering! Still, I was very impatient with
the poor communication about developments, so I pushed for another meeting to
find out what progress had been made in the plans to have a staff training
day early next year.

Fortunately for me, Carla started this course in the meantime, and I started
reading _When I say no, I feel guilty_. The day before the second meeting, I
read the chapter about the Broken Record technique, and was determined to use
that if they were still stalling. Fortunately, this wasn't necessary! I was
gonna do it, though. :-)

I found out that the reason I hadn't heard about a date, is that the calendar
for next year hasn't been completed by the School Board and Superintendant's
office. At this point, after some of the articles I've sent them, and the
death of 33 students at Virginia Tech, they are starting to take bullying
VERY seriously. Not only will they have one staff training about this issue
early next year, *taught by the GSA kids* (with the assistance of the Safe
Schools Coalition), but they want to do a series of shorter trainings
throughout the year also. AND they would like to have a speaker in, to speak
to the students in an assembly. So we are now in discussions about who would
be a good person to schedule. Judy Shepard's name was brought up, so they are
thinking big.

My next step is to talk to the Superintendent's office, and see what we can
get going at the District level. Bullying starts in grade school, and needs
to be addressed there and in the middle and high schools, all of them.

It's amazing how much easier that huge task seems, than making the date for
that initial meeting. It really is true that a long journey begins with a
single step. And I'm glad to be working with them to solve the problem,
rather than talking to the ACLU about filing suit. Although, if the district
doesn't change its ways, that could still happen!

Valorie

I leave these Basic Human Rights, because so many of them were involved in my
story.