[Courses] [Spineful Living, Lesson 4: Saying No!]

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Fri Apr 27 08:48:32 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 10:43:38AM -0700 or thereabouts, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Thursday 26 April 2007 07:20, Doc Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > ...He objected, but he
> > had no valid argument for not letting me take 3 full weeks, so i did.
> >
> > So i went on my vacation, and when the 30th of october came round, i
> > noticed my pay didnt land in my bankaccount.
> > Turns out i had been fired, via email, because i refused to work..
> > or as he claims: i agreed to work on the two days, and then just didn't
> > show.
>
> Grrr.
>

> > Needless to say, my union is now filing a suit against him...
>
> Yay!
>
> Interestingly, a lot of US technical professionals are anti-union because as
> far as I can tell, they're trapped in this weird "rugged individualist"
> philosophy, like they're geek John Waynes or something. When the reality is
> the employer has all the resources and power. (I know, some unions are
> corrupt and evil, but that's a different issue.)

It's important to note that (depending on jurisdiction) you don't
necessarily need a union to file an unfair dismissal suit.  If your country
has unfair dismissal legislation, you can take the suit yourself.

Conor
--
Conor Daly,
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

Ta an riomhphost seo, agus aon chomhad ata nasctha leis, faoi run agus is don te a seoladh chuige amhain e. Ma tharla go bhfuair tu an riomhphost seo tri dhearmad cuir in iul don te a sheol e led' thoil.

Ta an teachtaireacht riomhphoist seo scuabtha le bogearrai frithvireas.