[Courses] [Spineful Living, lesson 1: Dreams]

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Apr 5 00:45:20 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 04 April 2007 15:02, Aguido Horatio Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 02:02:49PM -0400, Sheryl wrote:
> > Men don't have to compete with women if they'll buy into that mindset
> > because they'll take care of it for them by cutting themselves off at
> > the knees (and each other -- women can be fierce enforcers of faux
> > feminity).  "Mother may I" is an exhausting game, and it's one that
> > men don't have to spend time on because they are the default.  They
> > already give themselves rights to everything human.  Women don't.
>
> There are areas of being human that are incompatible with some of the
> traditional views of being an occidental male. Some of the fiercest
> enforcers of this kind of limit are other men.
>
> It's not disagreement, exactly, but you may want to reconsider your
> assumption that men have no such limits inside their heads, and that
> they don't compromise their lives to honour them.  It's not just
> communities of gender that have such cultural baggage, but that's
> another thread, I suspect..

In keeping with the mission of Linuxchix, which is "LinuxChix is a community
for women who like Linux, and for women and men who want to support women in
computing," I'm not going to be discussing issues specific to men. The course
material is applicable to just about everyone (the folks who already lead
perfect lives probably won't find much of value here, but we don't care about
them <g>), but my overall slant is definitely towards women.

Discussions aren't restricted in any way; please share freely and be welcome.

> Are my dreams welcome?

Yes.

--
Carla Schroder