[Courses] [Spineful Living, lesson 1: Dreams]

Lynna Cekova lynna.cekova at wright.edu
Tue Apr 3 20:22:23 UTC 2007

> In general, women are not raised to aspire to very much, and to bury our real
> wants and needs under thick deadening layers of stupid stuff, so when I
> hear "oh, I don't want much" I think it's worth a closer examination. It's
> not required to share it with the list, but if you're thinking along these
> lines, you might take another look just to be sure.

Or perhaps it can be assumed that a woman knows what she wants, herself.
Telling someone that her desires are worth a "closer examination" only
because they are not the same as what you or society considers
appropriate is outside infliction of self-doubt to that woman, and
building new "deadening layers of stupid stuff" (whether or not she had
some to start with).
Some women here have been brave enough to share dreams that differ from
the dreams of others, and I don't think they deserve to be told to
re-examine themselves, just in case, as if something was wrong with them
by default. And many women would think that there was *really* something
wrong with them -- they would start to search for the "deadening layers"
that may or may not exist, and would eventually create them, just to fit
in. A woman telling another woman to "take another look just to be sure"
if she doesn't conform to some standard of thought and behavior can be
even more detrimental than the proverbial chauvinistic male who tries to
order her around. For many people, standing up to an enemy is easier
than standing up to someone belonging to the same group as you.

Lynna