[Courses] [Tools] Bzr and Python

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Sat Mar 18 22:24:44 EST 2006

On 17/03/2006, at 11:06 PM, Catherine Devlin wrote:

> I'm also confused about whether, for instance, I need to run bzr from
> the top-level directory.  (Do I need to be in versioned/projects to
> issue "bzr merge media/usbdisk/versioned/projects", or can I issue it
> from a lower-level directory like versioned/projects/myProject1/ ?
> And if I do issue it from there, should I issue "bzr merge
> media/usbdisk/versioned/projects/myProject1" instead?  etc.)

I have a similar confusion about SVN. In my text editor, which
handles CVS, SVN and Perforce (I only use the first two), when
setting my preferences for SVN, I'm asked for the root dir. Same in
my SVN GUI, svnx.

Now, with CVS, the root directory can be any dir. which has a sub-
directory containing versioned files, i.e. a sub-directory with its
own CVS sub-sub-directory.

But with SVN, it seems that you can't choose a "root" directory,
unless _it_ contains versioned files.

In my working copies, since I'm doing translations, I have lots of
individual dirs. with their own translations, within an umbrella dir.
hierarchy.

With CVS, I can simply set the root dir. as "Gnome", for example, and
that includes all the gnome dirs. under it which have versioned files.

With SVN, it looks like I have to select separate "root" folders, and
create separate settings, for each dir. which has versioned
files. :S  That's hundreds of separate dirs!

I really don't understand this. It's one thing I'll be really glad to
clear up.

As I said in another mail, I really want to fill in the difference
between being able to use something for specific tasks, and actually
understanding it.

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)