[Courses][gimp] Lesson 7: Selecting Complex Shapes

Patricia Peck patpeck at znet.com
Thu Mar 17 09:25:57 EST 2005

A bit of a struggle for me this time, but I've done my homework and it
turned out okay, I think.  I had some problems with the "marching ants"
around my outline.  At first, I got some kind of extra triangle within
the image, I have no idea why.  Feathering moved it around to where it
was hardly noticeable, but it wouldn't disappear completely.

Also, as long as I was looking at where those darned ants were marching
in relation to my selection, it didn't look right at all.  But when all
the guides were turned off, it looked okay, so maybe it was just the
Gimp not being as precise in its indicators as it might be, I dunno.
OTOH, maybe I did something stupid.  Wouldn't be the first time.

Here's my homework starting with the original image of a camellia in my
yard:

http://webpages.charter.net/patpeck/crwhite1S.jpg

I selected the flower, sharpened it a little, feathered it, then
inverted to the background and darkened that slightly to increase the
contrast and make the dead leaves less obvious.  Here's the result:

http://webpages.charter.net/patpeck/Lesson7.jpg

--

	...Pat