[Courses] courses@linuxchix.org

Julie Bovee joulie at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 18:13:07 EST 2005

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:49:23 -0800, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
> Now that everyone has amped up their Gimp-fu, here's a howto that might be
> useful:
>
> Building Attractive Web Photo Galleries
> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/5681/1/

Wow, that's a great article - I _really_ wish I'd seen it a couple of
weeks ago when I decided to start making up my first albums for a new
web server we just recently built for fun.

I'd like to add one tiny little thing: for anyone who's super lazy
like me and wants to create their album with one simple command, try
out MkGallery from http://mkgallery.sourceforge.net/
It's a wrapper around ImageMagick that does all of the dirty work for
you, so you can create your entire gallery using a single command.
It's not the fanciest program in the world and there's not that much
customization that you can do, but it did reduce the task of creating
a complete image gallery to a single command for me, and I liked that
a lot :)
One note: the image files need to end in .jpg and not .JPG, it's case sensitive.

Here's mine as an example of what it can do:
http://www.geekontheloose.com/ppics/pics/slough/slough01.html

In Gentoo, I was able to emerge the mkgallery package and get all of
the dependencies (like ImageMagick) all in one swoop, probably Debian
and others make that easy, too.

Julie