[Courses] [gimp] Lesson 1: Cropping and Rescaling an Image

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Sun Jan 30 13:28:13 EST 2005

I accidentally sent a reply to akk and not the courses list.  Sorry!

Akkana Peck said:
> Kathryn Hogg writes:
>> Since akk wants us to post our work, here's a an original image
>> http://womensfooty.com/bombshells/photos/kathryn/scan0002.CROPtop.jpg
>> (793KB)
>>
>> and here's my cropped and scaled version
>> http://womensfooty.com/bk.jpg (10KB)
>
> Yay, thanks!  Cool pic, too.
>
> Did you mean to post that to the group?  It looks like it was just
> to me.  The comment about selection and Image->Crop Image might
> be helpful for other people to know about too (though I agree
> the crop tool is probably easier once you get used to it).

What akk is talking about is that before this great course started, I
would fuddle around in gimp.  When I wanted to crop an image, I would use
the selection tool and then Image->Crop Image menu item.  It works but the
selection tool doesn't allow you to make changes like the Crop tool.

>> I don't know if this jumping ahead or not, but sometimes I find that I
>> want to make the image bigger but not scale what is there.  I want to
>> leave the current image exactly as is but give myself more working room
>> around it.
>
> It's getting a little ahead, but that's okay.  Image->Canvas Size is
> what you want for that.  But that doesn't scale the layer, just the
> image, so then you need to do "layer to imagesize" or make another
> layer that's as big as the image's new size.  (I'll be talking about
> layers soon, probably in lesson 3.)

Looking forward to it!

--
Kathryn