[Courses] [Careers] My mid-life career change to software

Julie B joulie at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 04:36:09 EST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:58:12 +0100, Sonja Krause-Harer
<foogirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think that Linux and open source is the best way to do that.
>
> If you haven't already, check out the java / gcj subproject of gcc, as
> well
> as GNU Classpath. They are working on a completely free jvm and runtime
> environment.

Thanks! I hadn't thought of that one. I'll definitely check it out.

That makes me think: there are so many open source projects out there
now, it's kind of hard to figure out which ones are the best to try
working on. In fact, trying to figure that out is almost a little
overwhelming due to information overload. There's a lot to consider:
is the topic interesting to me, is it a technology I want to work on,
is it an environment that I'm comfortable working in (nice people,
reasonable rules, competitiveness, etc.), and so on. How do people do
it? Do they mostly just blindly stumble into something?

Julie