[Courses] [Careers] My mid-life career change to software

Devdas Bhagat devdas at dvb.homelinux.org
Wed Feb 23 04:28:44 EST 2005

On 07/02/05 14:23 +0200, Anna Badimo wrote:
> Hi Julie,
>
> This is very encouraging. I am also at a point where I want to change to a
> network/infrastructure manager. I have been a software developer and I kind of
> find it very mundane once you have learned a system or a programming language.
> Where should I start?

This is a rather late response (blame it on excessive travelling :)),
but http://www.infrastructures.org/ is a good place to start from. I
would recommend reading the "Turing" paper on the site first, as it
gives a good overview of what the infrastructure field is about.

It distinguishes between a system/network administrator and an
infrastructure architect. You may choose to be on either side of the
divide as you start off. The skillset required is the same, the
philosophy of applying those skills is different.

Devdas Bhagat