[Courses][gimp] Lesson4: Basic selection tools, and copy/paste

Julie Sloan juliesloan at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 20 06:51:28 EST 2005

For my homework I used a picture I took last summer of my tabby-point
siamese (is there such a thing?) Shorty:

http://www.bobsloansampler.com/gimp/shorty1.jpg I used the elliptical
selection tool and added a drop shadow

http://www.bobsloansampler.com/gimp/shorty2.jpg I tried getting rid of the
background using a combination of the color selection and contiguous region
selection tools, then I discovered by accident that the erasor tool will
work inside a selection and leave the outside stuff alone.

I ended up with a white circle with a cat innit  :) which is
http://www.bobsloansampler.com/gimp/shorty3.jpg and

in http://www.bobsloansampler.com/gimp/shorty4.jpg I discovered the opacity
slider bar in the Layers, Channels and Paths dialogue and put lots of
little ghost cats all around.

My original is http://www.bobsloansampler.com/shorty.jpg

This is fun; sorry if I'm being a bit silly with it.

Julie