[Courses][gimp] Import RAW files

Kjersti Bjørnestad Berg kjersti.b.berg at start.no
Sun Feb 20 00:45:15 EST 2005

Hi all

I have been doing my homework, will upload later. For now I have a
question though. I have been taking some pictures in raw format and
would like to open these with gimp. There are some plugins around, I
have tried two of them, rawphot and ufraw, but I can't get them to work,
and I can't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I have installed dcraw (compiled and put in /usr/local/bin) and I can
run this from the command line.

I have tried to install rawphoto by using gimptool, but it doesn't seem
to have any effect when I try to open the raw files. Anyone used this? I
don't even know what to look for. (Feeling very stupid right now.)

I also tried to install ufraw. When I tried compiling it failed. So I
tried using an rpm (earlier version), and since I installed Gimp from
source as well, I had to use the nodeps option. I don't know if this
could cause it to break. (I checked that all libs were there.) Anyone
ever tried this plugin? How can I tell if it works? Opening a raw file
causes Gimp to complain about unknown file format.

Although I suppose I could just use dcraw from the command line, I would
sure like to integrate it with Gimp if I can.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Kjersti