[Courses][gimp] Lesson 3: Introduction to Layers and Text

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Feb 11 12:54:29 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005, Patricia Peck wrote:
> Question:   What is "Export"?  I tried to save "Valentine.jpg", which
> may not be the final version, and it told me I had to "export" before it
> could be saved as a jpeg.  So I clicked "export", and it apparently
> saved, but I don't understand what I did or why some images need this
> and some don't.  Is it because it had two layers?

Yes, essentially. "Export" means "convert to the type of image that can
be savid in the format you want". JPEGs cannot have multiple layers, so
before you can save as a JPEG GIMP will 'flatten' all the layers
together.

If you open up the image you saved, you'll find that the layers are
gone. (If you ever want to save in a format which preserves absolutely
everything, save to the GIMP's own XCF format. Note that the files will
be enormous though, so you'll definitely want to export before putting
them on the web!)

-Mary