[Courses] [Careers] Lori MacVittie

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Feb 10 03:34:11 EST 2005

Sue Stones writes:
> Wow.  I had heard that AutoCAD was written in LISP, but when I tried to
[ ... ]
> Is LISP used for actual graphics?  If not what?  Do you have any

I believe AutoCAD uses LISP for scripting, not as the implementation
language for its own core.  So it's like emacs and gimp, which
are written in C but use lisp as their built-in scripting languages
(though gimp can also be scripted in perl or python).

I presume Lisp is popular for built-in scripting languages because
it's so straightforward to write a lisp parser and simple lisp
interpreter.  But whatever the reason, a bit of lisp knowledge
is still surprisingly useful.

	...Akkana