[Courses] [careers] Re: Courses Digest, Vol 20, Issue 5

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Sat Feb 5 16:59:56 EST 2005

On Feb 3, 2005, at 9:48 PM, Gareth Anderson wrote:
> I always thought that PhD students are only sponsored for the PhD
> research.

That depends on where you go!  In many universities, you also work as
either a teaching assistant or lecturer, and you may be a research
assistant for work not directly your own.

> Was it a combination of Scholarships which allowed you to earn that
> amount of money? (I haven't heard of that kind of thing in Australia
> before..)

I currently hold three scholarships: one from the faculty of CS, one
from the university, and one from a national funding agency for
science/engineering.  The latter is one of the larger scholarships
given out in this country, so I'm have a unusually high level of
funding.  On top of that, I work as a teaching assistant.  (This term,
I'm marking and helping students in our Internet Programming course,
which teaches them basic HTML/CSS/javascript, XML, and perl to glue it
all together.  Their assignments this year have them working towards
building a site that allows people to have personalized headlines pages
that read from RSS feeds, to give you an idea.)

In the past, I've also held the research assistantship I mentioned and
a provincial scholarship (I can't hold either of those this year
because of some regulations on each of those).

I gather this level of funding is much more common in the US than it is
here in Canada -- it seems that most universities there won't even
accept doctoral students unless they can be funded rather considerably!

The amount of funding I have is unusual for Canada since competition
for the national and even provincial scholarships is fairly fierce, and
there aren't too many similarly large scholarships available from
industry.   The university is only allowed to send out a limited number
of applications for the national scholarships (I believe it's around 60
for my university, which has around 2,500 grad students, although some
of them would apply to other funding agencies based upon their field.
And even then, most of the students are turned down.  It's a pretty big
deal to hold one of these scholarships.)

All of my scholarships have different durations, so my funding will
decrease as the years go by unless I find new scholarships -- I've got
three applications in now, and will probably be applying for more
later.

  Terri