[Courses] [Careers] PhD scholarship size

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Feb 4 13:58:51 EST 2005

[Please preserve the "[Careers]" string in the subject so that people
can filter out courses they aren't reading.]

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005, Gareth Anderson wrote:
> Was it a combination of Scholarships which allowed you to earn that
> amount of money? (I haven't heard of that kind of thing in Australia
> before..)

A lecturer I used to work with was on a scholarship that had him earning
about as much during his PhD as he is now, or as much as a mid-level
programmer. It was a very generous scholarship from a large software
company. That amount is not usual, but since scholarships in Australia
are untaxed, anyone who can get a reasonable top-up is earning the
equivalent of about $40k a year, which is entry-ish. (When I say "anyone
who can get a reasonable top-up", I don't mean that everyone does -- but
some people working on projects that are somehow targetted towards
industry or towards a government iniative may get that size top-up.)

-Mary