[Courses] [Careers] Artificial intelligence researcher

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Fri Feb 4 00:50:40 EST 2005

That sounds fantastic Terri. I have always been interested in AI, and in
research rather than business computing.  I don't see any future for
myself other than as a uni lecturer.  Are there jobs in AI in the sates?

Terri Oda wrote:
> My co-author started asking me if I'd considered grad school, because he
> really thought this work could be continued. I was non-committal, but
> when he suggested that he could pay me to continue in school... well,
> this was around the time of the bust and by that point I'd realized that
> finding a job could be pretty hard, with the market flooded with people
> with more experience than I.  I took him up on the offer, and just this
> December finished the Master's thesis that arose from that work.

How does this work?  Where did your co-authour get the money to support
you (his own business?) and what does he get in return?  It sounds as
though the arrangement didn't involve you working for him once you
finished your masters.  How are you financing you PhD?

sue