[Courses] [gimp] Lesson 0: Welcome! Get Familiar with the GIMP

Carol Spears carol at gimp.org
Tue Feb 1 04:57:30 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:46:16PM +0530, Shyam Mani wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:57:31 -0800, Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:
>
> > The Layers Window
> > Another window which GIMP will show, in addition to the toolbox
> > window, is the Layers, Channels, and Paths window.  Most beginners
> > immediately close this window when they start GIMP; but in this
> > course, we'll be using it, so I encourage you to leave it open.
>
> How do I get this one to open by default again everytime Gimp starts up?

<Toolbox>-->Dialogs-->Create New Dock-->Layers, Channels, Paths

I have been trying to compile a section on my web site about how to
configure, tweak, add styles to your widgets and anything else that
might be helpful to people using TheGIMP.  There is an enormous amount
of pages there, and perhaps not so much information -- it is difficult
to write things for everyone.

I do not want to infringe on Akkana's Course, however if there are those
with time to work through things there, I would appreciate suggestions.

The web page there that specifically answers your question and maybe
more is: http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/basics/gui/docks-tabs.html
there is some cute and perhaps helpful javascript on the page that is an
attempt to show you in html what the gimp should do on your desktop.

The whole section is:
http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/basics/gui/ and well, I was inspired by
Carla on another Course here to go ahead and make my opinions.

I would really appreciate additional input from anyone involved with
this course before making it more publically known.

Also, forgive me if i am jumping ahead of things in Akkans plans.  This
stuff is about the widgets and the gui, tho.  Not at all about using
gimp as an art tool -- i dont think the information should hurt the
course too much.

thanks,
carol