[Courses] [Careers] Carla the Country Geek

Julie Sloan juliesloan at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 1 01:54:40 EST 2005

||svaksha|| wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:20:03 -0800, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
>
>>Degrees v. free-style
>>http://www.computerbits.com/archive/1999/0700/carla9907.html
>>"There will forever be strife between people who favor structured education,
>>degrees, certifications, licenses, and the like, and them awful mavericks who
>>insist on doing things their own way, in their own time; between those who
>>pursue a profession for money and prestige, and those who do it because they
>>love it."
>

> Yes that point about being impossible to be hired without a degree in
> CS is true (for all countries). Imho, there is a larger bias against
> self-taught people

just a little OT:  my husband is a fiction writer; has two books
published with a small literary press, and part of his intro reads:
"...does not have and is not seeking an MFA..."  which always is good
for a laugh.

It's practically impossible to get recognition from the big publishing
houses without being connected with some University's Master of Fine
Arts program.  My point is, this isn't a CS-specific problem, and for
sure not gender-specific.

Julie