[Courses] [Perl] Part 1: Getting Started

Fazia Begum Rizvi fazia at faziarizvi.net
Tue Apr 5 08:18:31 EST 2005

Hi Dan,

I've just joined the Linuxchix Courses list, specifically for your class
on Perl. I'll be following it every week.

Since I joined a bit late, I went to the archive and read the first two
messages. I've already done my first program. :-)

I also have my first question. Though I'll be doing later programs on a
linux server, I put together this first one on my Mac (OSX). Everything
worked except I could not get the program to run by simply typing
"hello.pl" after insterting the shebang line. (It runs just fine if I type
"perl hello.pl".

I know that some flavors of perl can be different. Is this the case here?
Or did I perhaps write something incorrectly?

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
# My very first perl program April 4, 2005 - Fazia
my $who;                        # Declare variable
$who = "world";                 # Assign variable
print "Hello, world!\n";        # Print result

Thanks,
ad astra,
Faz

Fazia Begum Rizvi