[Courses][Linux comands] customizing a 2.4 kernel

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Fri Mar 26 09:03:12 EST 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:15 am, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> I think the proving to yourself that you can is well worth
> it. I don't think it's worth wasting an evening to prove it
> to someone else, though :)

This one has particular appeal to me.  Whilst I am somewhat cmofortable as a
programmer, I alway feel insecure/threatened about sys admin stuff as well as
ideas like compiling a kernel.  I think it is mainly because its to do with
remebering lots of stuff, (which I'm not that good at) and also because its
possible to get into places where I don't know how to get my system back to
working order. (I couldn't even install octave without a major drama!)

With programming normaly the worst that happens is that the program doesn't
work.  Its a logical situation that I can usually think my way out of, if I
don't know the syntax or the idioms the appropriate algorithms I can usually
look them up.

This ramble poses the questions, what resourses are there around to suport for
someone learning how to build a kernel?

sue