[Courses][Linux comands] customizing a 2.4 kernel

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Mar 25 15:56:39 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004, Carla Schroder wrote:
> 2. To clean all the junk out of a stock kernel. The various distros lard their
> kernels with all kinds of drivers and features you'll never need

Most of which are built as modules these days though, so they won't be
loaded into memory.

> 3. To optimize it for your hardware. Many distros default to i386, which is
> rather silly for Athlon and P4 users. Plus, I've noticed that many times the
> architecture is wrong- on both my Red Hat and Debian systems, PIII was
> selected . Well both systems are Durons.

I have no idea about Red Hat, but on Debian I tend to install a -k7
kernel from the apt archives by hand.

Needing to build my own kernel is getting less and less frequent for me:
the last time was when I needed to apply an unstable patch for a very
new motherboard.

-Mary