[Courses] [Domains] Why own a domain name?

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Sat Jun 12 13:54:10 EST 2004

Mary wrote:
> I didn't state that "domain name hosts will often limit the number of
> email addresses to 1." I said "*ISPs* generally set a limit ..."
>
> When I say ISPs in this course, I mean home ISPs (dialup or broadband),
> who give you username at example.net as an email address.
>
> I suppose technically a domain hosting provider is also an ISP, but in
> this course I'm maintaining a distinction:

Right, so trying to solidify my understanding and outs my confusion
between the concepts of a domain host and an ISP (I have always felt
hazy on this point) ...

ISP:
Provides the connection to the internet over the phone line
Provides a small (often 1) number of e-mail addresses
Often provides a small amount of space for a web page

Domain Host:
Provides a place for webpage
translates your namespace to a machine name
provides for some e-mail addresses
is essential if you have your own domain name

Is this correct? Is there any more to it?

sue