[Courses] [Domains] Why own a domain name?

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Sat Jun 12 01:05:10 EST 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Mary wrote:

> 4. Domain names can be hard for some people to understand
>
> Many people are used to sending email entirely to @yahoo.com and @hotmail.com.
> For a long time after I stopped using my hotmail.com address, my mother kept
> trying to mail me at mary at example.com@hotmail.com
>
> This is especially a problem if you don't get a .com address. ("I'm mary at
> example dot org." "What?" "mary at example dot o-r-g" "Oh!
> mary at example dot o-r-g dot com?"...)

Can't say I have ever come across this problem.  Perhaps it's an
American thing: over this side people are very familiar with .co.uk
(as in my domain name) as well as .com , so as they know there are
different endings they don't seem to have a problem if I tell them
about a .net, .org, .ac.uk or whatever address.

Sorry, not a very constructive comment, more an observation.

Enjoying the course, by the way.  I'm toying with the idea of moving
aeolia.co.uk to a different domain name host, or even hosting it
myself, so I'll be particularly interested in some of your later
lessons/chapters/emails.

David