[Courses] New course: Domain names

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Jun 4 07:28:54 EST 2004

Hi everyone,

I'm intending to run a LinuxChix course (a series of posts to the
courses mailing list with discussion) on owning and managing your own
domain name.

It will be an introductory and fairly high level course (I will not
cover, for example, anything to do with mail servers, web servers, web
pages etc etc).

Prerequisites: The course will assume that you've used the web and email
before, and that you know what a domain name is (it's the part of an
email address after the @ sign!). It will *not* assume any knowledge of
Linux, or of relevant protocols (mail, web, name serving etc), because
it isn't really a techie course, it's more about comparison shopping and
purchasing decisions. It should be eminently suitable for very newchix.

Here's the "lessons" I will post:

0. Welcome
1. Why own a domain name?
2. Choosing a domain name
3. Techie interlude: nameservers
4. Registering a domain name
5. Choosing a host

Discussion will be encouraged.

If you're interested, please join the courses list at
http://mailman.linuxchix.org/mailman/listinfo/courses and please make
sure you're subscribed to either the "Domain names" topic or "All
topics" otherwise you will not receive the relevant posts.

Alternatively, follow in the courses archives:
http://linuxchix.org/pipermail/courses/

The first lesson will be posted Saturday evening (my time, that's early
morning UTC!) and from then on I will post twice a week for three weeks.

-Mary