[Courses] [Domains] Conclusion of domain names lessons (Mary)

Steven Walker swalk at ya.com
Tue Jul 6 23:06:09 EST 2004

>This is the fifth and last lesson in the domain name courses series.

First thanks for the excellent resource you have prepared, it must have
taken a lot of work. When you announced the subject I thought that I knew
it all but there were all sorts of considerations that had not occurred to me.

As a hobbyist with low turnover sites my needs are different from those of
most web hosts but several thoughts occur to me:

>  3. Shell access via telnet or ssh.

As a Linux user I like to do as much as possible myself. It is almost
impossible to get a shell account with low cost hosting. I think the
security aspects make it not worth the trouble for $100 pa. Apart from
anything else it would be nice to be able to access my own server from the
outside.

>  - you might host your machine non-commercially, for example on your home
>    broadband connection or at yours or a friend's workplace

That is what I do and when I go away for more than a week or so I move the
server to the house of a buddy who hosts it on his ADSL. There is a day's
down time each time I change the DNS and relocate the machine but it all
works.

Finally it took me a little while identify most of the problems of hosting
my own web pages without running a domain (now that would be a good
course). My router would respond to any local request to the public IP
address or the domain name. A quick edit of the hosts file sent the
requests for the domain name to the local IP address. This totally confused
the Movable Type blogging software http://www.movabletype.org/ as some
addresses are relative and others are absolute. The effect of this is that
sometimes the only way to add to the blog is to do it from outside the
local network.

Steve