[Courses] Linux commands: /etc/crontab, crontab

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 20:50:05 EST 2004

I'm really looking forward to this course!  I'll probably think of a
few commands I'd like clarifying - I'll let you know, Carla.

I'm a lot clearer now about Cron.  Thanks for that.

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Carla Schroder wrote:

> #shutdown at 1:05am Saturdays and Sundays
> 01 05   * * 7,0   root /sbin/shutdown -h +5
>
> Sometimes Sunday is 7, you'll have to try it to see what works:
>
> 01 05   * * 6,7   root /sbin/shutdown -h +5

Presumably these should begin '05 01' and not '01 05'.

Should the dow numbers in the first of these read '6,0', or have I
misunderstood something?

> It would be nice to use 'sat,sun', but you can't list names.

Are you saying that you can list a single name (e.g. 'sat') but not
more than one?

Anyway, thanks for the first lesson in what promises to be a very
useful and interesting course.  I didn't know users could have their
own crontabs until now.

David