[Courses] [Networking] Is there anybody out there?

Peter Clay pete at flatline.org.uk
Mon Sep 22 14:54:02 EST 2003

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Jeffrey Bruton wrote:

> I'm out here. I just found the course last night, went
> through it all, but there's a snag. When I try to
> launch a gui program from terminat I get the
> following:
>
> [jb at mycomputer jb]$ /usr/bin/<gui-program> &
> [1] 8684
> [jb at mycomputer jb]$ Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused
> by server
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

This sounds like an X permission problem. If you're using telnet, then you
can make this go away by doing "xhost +" on the machine with the X
display. That turns off all the windowing security and allows anyone on
the network to open windows on your system. (There is a way of doing this
securely, but it's a pain. See "man xauth")

If you're using ssh, which would be a much better idea, then it handles
this automatically if you turn X forwarding on. If it's not on by default
in your distro, then "ssh -X machine" will turn it on. Then you don't have
to worry about X and its security systems.

Pete
--
Peter Clay                                         | Campaign for   _  _| .__
                                                   | Digital       /  / | |