[Courses] [FS] Welcome to the Filesystems course!

Meredydd meredydd at everybuddy.com
Tue Jul 1 16:01:16 EST 2003

Just a quick note - on balance, after some feedback, I've decided that
the one-liners to the list are going to stay. They carry information,
they are social, and they give both you and me the idea of a class
together. I agree that "tell me about who you are and why you're doing
this course" would have been better than "say hello", but I'm hesitant
about irritating people unnecessarily.

In other news, lesson one is going up tonight, so stay tuned, and make
sure all your friends have subscribed!

-- Original message follows, final repeat --

Hello, all!

Welcome to the UNIX filesystems course! This course will teach the
 structure and function of the UNIX filesystem, as well as various fun
 gymnastics you can do with it. The filesystem is a powerful tool, and
 by the end of this course you should be up to using that power in your
 day-to-day work on whatever flavour of UNIX you prefer.

A few words about the structure of this course:
	I am fond of illustrating my points. As a result, these lessons are
 available only as graphical HTML pages. The lessons themselves will
 not be posted to this list. Instead, each lesson post will consist of
 a link to the page on Linuxchix.org. The lessons, however, will be
 discussed on the mailing list. When discussing material in a
 particular lesson, please reply to the post which contains the link to
 that lesson. That way, those of us with threaded mail programs can
 group discussion by the lesson which produced it.

	Please, *please* discuss things on list. I want comments - for one, I
 *need* them to assess where various people are and how fast they are
 learning. Unless the subscriber list gets too large, I think it would
 be a jolly good idea if everyone following this course replies at
 least once to each lesson, even if only to say "I understood this
 lesson completely". This will also give me an idea as to how fast you
 digest lessons, and so when it is appropriate to post the next lesson.

	As I explained in my introduction (link further down), I intend to
 keep this course moving. To this end, I'm building up a buffer of
 unpublished lessons - I'll tell you how big this buffer is every time
 I post a lesson. Here goes.

New lesson:	Lesson 0
Topic:		Introduction
Available at:
http://www.linuxchix.org/content/courses/filesystem/Lesson0.html

This lesson (published before, as a taster for the course) explains
 what I plan to do in this course. It gives an overview of the content
 I'll be covering, as well as what to expect in terms of style and
 lesson format.

Buffer:		1.5 lessons

This message will be repeated a few times, as various people join.
 Apologies to the early comers, who will see it a lot, but I felt that
 I wanted to welcome the new people fairly soon after they come in. So,
 once again, HOWDY, Y'ALL!

Meredydd