[Courses] [FS] Welcome to the Filesystems course!

Meredydd meredydd at everybuddy.com
Wed Jul 2 09:06:26 EST 2003

Hello, all!

Welcome to the UNIX filesystems course! This course will teach the structure
and function of the UNIX filesystem, as well as various fun gymnastics you
can do with it. The filesystem is a powerful tool, and by the end of this
course you should be up to using that power in your day-to-day work on
whatever flavour of UNIX you prefer.

A few words about the structure of this course:
	I am fond of illustrating my points. As a result, these lessons are
 available only as graphical HTML pages. The lessons themselves will not be
 posted to this list. Instead, each lesson post will consist of a link to the
 page on Linuxchix.org. The lessons, however, will be discussed on the
 mailing list. When discussing material in a particular lesson, please reply
 to the post which contains the link to that lesson. That way, those of us
 with threaded mail programs can group discussion by the lesson which
 produced it.

	Please, *please* discuss things on list. I want comments - for one, I *need*
them to assess where various people are and how fast they are learning.
Unless the subscriber list gets too large, I think it would be a jolly good
idea if everyone following this course replies at least once to each lesson,
even if only to say "I understood this lesson completely". This will also
give me an idea as to how fast you digest lessons, and so when it is
appropriate to post the next lesson.

	As I explained in my introduction (link further down), I intend to keep this
course moving. To this end, I'm building up a buffer of unpublished lessons -
I'll tell you how big this buffer is every time I post a lesson. Here goes.

New lesson:	Lesson 0
Topic:		Introduction
Available at:	http://www.linuxchix.org/content/courses/filesystem/Lesson1.html

This lesson (published before, as a taster for the course) explains what I
plan to do in this course. It gives an overview of the content I'll be
covering, as well as what to expect in terms of style and lesson format.

Buffer:		1.5 lessons

This message will be repeated a few times, as various people join. Apologies
to the early comers, who will see it a lot, but I felt that I wanted to
welcome the new people fairly soon after they come in. So, once again, HOWDY,
Y'ALL!

Meredydd