[Courses] [Networking] Lesson Two - Purchasing the Right Hardware

Eugene Teo eugene.teo at eugeneteo.net
Fri Apr 18 16:48:14 EST 2003

Dear Sue,

You might find this URL useful :-)
http://searchwin2000.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid1_gci214282,00.html

"PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) is an interconnection system between
a microprocessor and attached devices in which expansion slots are spaced closely
for high speed operation. Using PCI, a computer can support both new PCI cards
while continuing to support Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) expansion cards,
an older standard. Designed by Intel, the original PCI was similar to the VESA Local
Bus. However, PCI 2.0 is no longer a local bus and is designed to be independent
of microprocessor design. PCI is designed to be synchronized with the clock speed
of the microprocessor."

Next Generation PCI:
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/newsItem/0,289139,sid5_gci759447,00.html

More definitions: http://www.whatis.com/