[Courses] Running A Business- Starting a Company

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Tue Sep 3 13:46:50 EST 2002

At 9/2/02 04:34 PM , L J Laubenheimer wrote:

>But when they hand the questions to HR, anything but a specific textbook
>answer is tossed, and you are assumed to be a resume fluffer.

These questions were being asked by the sysadmins, not HR. And we'd have
understood "man tar" just fine. For that matter, I think we got at least
one person who answered the "how to change the default runlevel" question
with "You know, I have to do that so seldom, I think I'd have to look it
up. Or I might grep around in the /etc or /etc/rc directory..."

Which is (and was) just fine. It separated that person from the two or
three who said, "A runevel? Ummm, I don't know."

For that matter, as far as "specific textbook answers" -- we didn't come up
with answers. Just *questions*. There were dozens of good ways to answer
any given one.

There were also certain problem-solving ones, where we'd describe the
symptoms of a problem, and ask them how they'd deal with it. The sky was
the limit with those -- answers could range from an immediate, "Oh, that's
caused by such-and-so; you fix it by doing this" to "Hmmm... I try this.
[We tell the candidate what the result is] Okay, then I try this..." and so
on. Several folks suggested googling on error message strings for certain
cases; this was generally considered to be a pretty good response (at least
where appropriate).

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Playing dead and sweet submission,
  Cracks the whip deadpan on cue."