[Courses] Style (was Lesson Three: Basic Declarations & Expressions)

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Wed Oct 16 10:22:17 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 04:54, Lorne Gutz wrote:
> Ohhhhh boy,   Sorry Jenn.  I didn't mean to ruffle and
> feather here.

Sorry. Yeah, that's something I've hated in the past, can you tell?

> Usually I don't give a dam about how people write code.
> I like to see good algorithms and effective implimentation
> of those algorithms.   Most of all though the code must
> but readable by others.

Oh, I absolutely agree. I just don't see how four-character vs
eight-character indentation makes it unreadable. :)

> The woman who taught me C ( some 14 years ago now) would
> shutter at some of the code I see today.  She stressed strict
> rules and self discipline.  Something that I took to heart and halved
> the number of hours I spend debugging in the process.  So now
> you'll know where I'm coming from when I don't take for granted.
>
> C the language, allows more freedom that any other language I
> know of.  You can do anything you wish even if its totally wrong.

Absolutely agreed. I describe casting as 'the programming assuring the
compiler that the programmer knows what he's doing. Even if he doesn't.'

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/