[Courses] Style (was Lesson Three: Basic Declarations & Expressions)

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Sun Oct 13 09:39:56 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 07:24, Akkana wrote:

> Jenn is absolutely right, and here's another reason why: if you ever
> end up collaborating with other programmers

Thank you, and yes, you're right too. Especially about the tabs/spaces
thing.

I recommend using spaces rather than tabs, because when you cut and
paste you get spaces. And -everyone- cuts and pastes sometime.

> Oh, one other useful thing: if you want to enforce a spacing for a
> particular source file, you can specify the style in an emacs modeline
> at the top of the file: for example,
> /* -*- Mode: C++; tab-width: 8; indent-tabs-mode: nil; c-basic-offset: 4 -*- */
> Emacs will pick this up and use it in its C code formatter, so any new
> code you type in c-mode or c++-mode automatically gets indented to the
> right level.  Is there a way to get vim to read these modelines?

I don't know about those modelines, but vim does use an equivalent. I
can't think what it is offhand, unfortunately.

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/