[Courses] [C] Beginner's Lessons: Debugger (gdb) Tutorial

Laura Bowser lbowser at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Nov 7 12:28:00 EST 2002

gdb isn't the easiest debugger to use - especially if you are familiar with MS
Visual Debugger.
if you find yourself having difficulties learning to use gdb, try using ddd
first.
DDD is a graphical frontend to gdb, and allows you to point and click instead
of having to determine breakpoints by line numbers.
http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/

it also shows you the gdb command line in the bottom pane, so you know what
gdb is actually doing.

Laura

On Thursday 07 November 2002 10:33 am, KWMelvin wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I recently had a problem that required the use of a debugger.
> There is a good gdb tutorial here:
>
> http://www.dirac.org/linux/gdb/gdb.html
>
> This seems to be written for beginners. I'm going to put a
> tarball of this tutorial on my web site so you can grab it
> with wget:
>
> $ wget http://us.geocities.com/k_w_melvin/gdb-tut.tgz
>
> However, I highly recommend that you grab it from the author's
> site as his copy will probably be more up-to-date.  The gdb
> tutorial is GPL'd. My tarball is 42575 bytes in length and
> includes all the sample C programs, a graphic file, and all
> the tutorial's HTML pages, 15 files in all.
>
> Beginners: Please download this tutorial and work through it!
> We don't get into "Debugging and Optimization" until Lesson 14
> in the book, and that is quite a ways off.  I think that being
> familiar with this stuff right now will help us learn C better!
>
> Happy Programming!
> --

Public key available at
http://www.elwing.org/~elwing/lbowser.gpg