[Courses] [Security] IPv6 and NAT (was: Firewall theory -- UDP and nameservers)

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Tue Mar 26 20:38:25 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth Kai MacTane (Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:23:31PM -0800):
> >The diehard IPv4 addict's 'solution' to running out of real addresses.
> >Once we force them all to move to IPv6, NAT will vanish.
>
> I can't see why; NAT is also useful for security. Take my house network: I
> have DSL with four static IPs. The Slackware Linux machine "surehand" gets
> three of those, with the Mandrake machine "kitchengod" having the other.
> kitchengod runs ipchains, and has a second NIC, which the four Windows 9x
> boxen in the house plug into. They get their IP addresses from DHCP, in a
> 192.168 range.

	Well, NAT will change dramatically with IPv6.  There's a similar
chunk of address space built into the protocol -- the local-use unicast
addresses.  (RFC 2373, 2.5.8)  These site-local addresses (there are
also link-local addresses) shouldn't be sent outside of the site by any
RFC-compliant router.  So by the very design of IPv6, you shouldn't see
things like UUNet announcing 10-space into the global internet and
causing many routing problems.  [grin]  That happened a few years back.
It was ugly.

http://www.rfc.net/rfc2373.html for interested parties.

Cheers,
Raven

"Incoming packet over rabbit. SYN."
"Incoming packet over duck. quACK!"
  -- me and Tiff, flinging stuffed animals and tech humor