Windows SSH clients (was Re: [Courses] [Security] Portforwarding with SSH andipchains/iptables)

L J Laubenheimer ljl at rahul.net
Mon Mar 25 22:15:46 EST 2002

Terri Oda wrote:

> >How weird. I consider PuTTY the *worst* Windows SSH client I've used -- I
> >much prefer SecureCRT. And failing that, F-Secure's product, whose name
> >I've forgotten, is pretty good. Of course, SecureCRT and F-Secure cost
> >money, and PuTTY is free. But I consider PuTTY "the thing I'll use if I
> >can get SecureCRT or even F-Secure".
>
> It's all a matter of personal preference, I guess.  I find F-Secure's thing
> just a little bit annoying compared to PuTTY now, but that may be a
> combination of the fact that I use PuTTY more regularly *and* I use
> F-Secure on computers in a public lab which may or may not be well-maintained.
>
> PuTTY became my new best friend when I realized that its cut and paste was
> exactly the way I wanted it. :)

I looked in to the others, I've used some, and their interface was
annoying, archaic and/or bore no resemblence to unix based ssh.

PuTTY was simple, clean, fit on a floppy, and free.  The newest
version supports port forwarding, which makes the others irrelevant,
IMO.  I can talk someone through a PuTTY install in ten minutes,
including getting them set up with at least one host.  It also has
Plink associated with it, whitch means it can be used in DOS type
batch files.  You can also use Putty-gen to set up to do key based
authentication, with or without passphrase.

But each person is different.  When I get some money I really need to
send the guy some money (via PayPal) as a "thank you" for the tool.

YMMV.

					Linda