[Courses] [Security] Firewall theory -- UDP and nameservers

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Sat Mar 23 01:32:11 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-03-23 at 00:14, hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk wrote:

> The only thing I'm not sure about now is what this NAT stuff is.
> This is probably a bad time to ask. I should have mentioned this
> the first time it came up. I intended to go and find out. And I
> forgot. So I'll ask now before suddenly it shows up in every
> future email or something.

Network Address Translation. Having one poor machine have to say 'oh,
that packet was supposed to go to internal address blah, even though it
only has our single, static IP on it just like all the other packets
I've seen today'.

The diehard IPv4 addict's 'solution' to running out of real addresses.
Once we force them all to move to IPv6, NAT will vanish.

Muahahahaha!

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/