[Courses] zero-knowledge national ID system

Jp Calderone kuran42 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 21 17:14:31 EST 2002

IIRC, zero knowledge goes like this:

  Authenticatee ("Client") requests authentication from
  Authenticator ("Server").

  Server uses authentication data the only the real
  individual the Client is claiming to be could know to
  encrypt some random data, then sends the encrypted
  data to Client.

  Client receives encrypted random number and decrypts
  it, using information only the real individual the Client is
  claiming to be could know.  Decrypted information is sent
  back to Server.

  If decrypted information equals original unencrypted information,
  Server authenticates the Client.

It is called "zero-knowledge" because, as you can see, the
information that identifies the individual as themself is never
transmitted.  I believe this is roughly the protocol that SSH uses,
to avoid exposing keys to possible capture.