[Courses] [Basics] Lesson #0

Liz Young liz at kandew.net
Mon Mar 18 10:28:34 EST 2002

On Sunday 17 March 2002 03:52 PM, Sonja Krause-Harder wrote:

> 1. Choose an editor and explore its features. If there is a tutorial
(at
>    least vim and emacs have one), take it. You might find a feature
called
>    "syntax colouring" very helpful very soon. Try to find out if your
>    editor supports this and how to activate it.
>
> 2. Subscribe to the list (courses at linuxchix.org), if not yet done,
and
>    introduce yourself

Hi there,

I'm running KDE on SuSE 7.3, so I chose Kate.  I got the tcl syntax
file from kate.sourceforge.net .  I can run a terminal right on the
bottom of the editor window - nice!

My experience with Linux was slim until last May.  After 6 years
working with NT I finally got my MCSE -- and promptly lost interest in
supporting MS products altogether!  Umm, rather than beating myself for
wasting all that money, I'm having lots of fun with GNU/Linux and Open
Source.  Still brainwashed on the cert thing, I'm halfway through the
Sair GNU/Linux LCA program.  I'd like to contribute more than just $$
(buying distros and apps), so learning programming is on my list of
"want tos".  Eventually, I'd like to help debug and provide patches for
the free software I use.

I have exprerience with Windows scripting (self taught) -- DOS batch,
Winbatch, NT Shell scripting, VBS -- used for system administration and
software distribution in prior employments.

I have five Perl books, but nothing to show for it.  Picked Perl for
it's cross-platform and free-ness, but can't seem to grok what I need
to do anything.  I was glancing at Python for the same reasons (x-plat.
and free) when this class announcement came by.  TCL looks neat, so I'm
going for it.   I like anything that has "tool" in it's name ;-)

And, I guess that means I can't just lurk around here anymore.

-Liz

--
Elizabeth Young MCSE, LCP
Kandew Computer Consulting