[Courses] [Security] Firewall theory -- UDP

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Fri Mar 15 14:33:40 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk (Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 08:04:47PM +0000):
> Our firewall drops UDP. All of it. There is some complicated thing
> to do with letting DNS queries work. It can be done, but I'd have
> to go and investigate to find out how. For all I know, it was
> "ask person who runs nameserver to do TCP too".

	Heh.  I'd actually love to know how that works.  I can't think
of any way to get it done without either controlling and custom-hacking
your external nameserver, or accepting some UDP.

	[runs off and asks her local nameserver expert to see if she can
think of any other way it could be done]

	Is it allowing replies to particular UDP queries, but nothing
else?  If not, I am well and truly stumped.  (And therefore, intrigued.
[grin])

> Other things dropping UDP gives (or loses) you:
> 	* Need to use something called "passive mode" in ftp.

	That's probably more not wanting to allow the high-numbered
ports from the server connecting inwards, as explained in the FTP
firewalling mail.

> 	* /dcc doesn't work in IRC.
> 	* Lots of the IM clients don't work.
> 	* Networked quake won't work (there's a complicated HOWTO
>     about this).
> 	* Can't use ntp (network time protocol) to get precise time
>     from other machines.

	That's all UDP.  I really wish someone would code a good secure
replacement for NTP.  [puts it on her to-do list for when she's a good
programmer]

> I manage quite happily with all this, but none of these were things
> I used, except ftp. And most intelligent ftp clients understand
> passive mode anyway.

	Yeah, even the HTML development ones do.  The only one I can
think off of the top of my head that doesn't is Solaris's command-line
FTP.

Cheers,
Raven

"Sed, sed, awk.  Like duck, duck, goose.  Sync, sync, halt.  It's the
 order of nature."
  -- me, after too long a day at work