[Courses] [Security] nmap scan results

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Thu Mar 14 18:39:07 EST 2002

> >Port       State       Service
> >137/udp    open        netbios-ns
> >138/udp    open        netbios-dgm
> >
> >Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 500 seconds
> >
> >I'll have to investigate my samba settings to try close that udp. I got the
> > tcp shut ok...
>
> If you plan on actually using samba on this machine, you'll need these,
> netbios-ns is the WINS name resolution so that you can access your machine by
> it's windows hostname, and the netbios-dgm is for data (if I remember
> correctly).
>
> An option you may have is using samba or a wrapper (I'm not sure if
> tcpwrappers will handle udp) to limit permissions only to certain hosts.
>
> Laura

Yep I am aware of that. My point is that samba is listening on the PUBLIC interface, whereas it only needs to be running on the private one.

Within the samba config you can bind it to certain interfaces. I thought I had done that, and the fact that its not listening on any tcp ports seems to me that I have done it with partial success. I will now try to stop it listening on udp ports on the public interface.

Hamster