[Courses] [Security] safe use of nmap

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Wed Mar 13 18:10:36 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth coldfire (Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 02:15:09PM -0500):
> you can port scan a particular machine from that machine itself .. but the
> results can vary.  this, of course, depends on if the gateway machine is
> configured as a firewall.  if not, i'm pretty sure you'll get an accurate
> scan.

	I've had mixed results.  Without a firewall, you *should* get an
accurate scan, but you don't always.  This seems to be more stable on
modern Linuxes, but a few years ago it was a lot uglier.

	Give it a try and let us know if it worked for you (and what
distro and kernel you're running).

> however, if you have a firewall configured on that machine, the results
> from the scan could depend on rules which match 'localhost' for example.

	Right.  We'll be getting into firewall rules shortly.

Cheers,
Raven

"Sed, sed, awk.  Like duck, duck, goose.  Sync, sync, halt.  It's the
 order of nature."
  -- me, after too long a day at work