[Courses] [Security] safe use of nmap

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Wed Mar 13 13:45:59 EST 2002

Hello!

Before I start nmapping my machines, I want to double check on something so I dont get my self in trouble.

There is one box I would like to scan, and thats my gateway machine. It has two nics, the public one and the private one.
I would like to scan the public one, to see just whats listening.

Is it possible to scan a machine from the machine itself, or should you be on a second machine to scan the first?
What I'm getting at is can I scan my public ip adress from the gateway machine itself?

Hamster.