[Courses] uses for ssh

Laura Bowser lbowser at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 8 16:36:29 EST 2002

>>         I eventually want to have a discussion of all the cool things
>>you can do with ssh, too.  Most people only use it for one thing, and
>>while it's a great secure telnet replacement, there are so many more cool
>>things you can do with it.  Sometime after firewalls, I suspect.
>
>Sounds like a great idea.  scp (secure copy) is my friend, and I'm sure
>there are plenty of other useful things that can be done with it that I've
>never thought to try!

There was an article in this month's sysadmin (www.sysadmin.org) about using
ssh to secure NFS in Linux.  It's something I'd like to try since we use NFS
to share large hard drives with small laptops on our internal network, but I
haven't gotten around to it yet.  The other option is using AFS, and although
it's very nice in a multiuser environment (I go to CMU and use it on the
campus servers), it's a PITA to set up because of all ther Kerberos stuff
needed.  And it's usally not worth it if you've got 2-3 people using the
machines.

Laura

--
Public Key available at