[Courses] [Security] Terri's Laptop netstat

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Fri Mar 8 16:49:27 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth Terri Oda (Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 06:54:38PM -0500):
> tcp        0      0
> *:time                  *:*                     LISTEN      206/inetd
> tcp        0      0
> *:discard               *:*                     LISTEN      206/inetd
> tcp        0      0
> *:daytime               *:*                     LISTEN      206/inetd

	You're probably okay to get rid of these; they're likely not
doing anything for you.

	I realize that I should say a word about basic troubleshooting
procedures, though I'm sure that most of you already know this.
Whenever possible, make only one change at a time.  That way if
something breaks, you know what the likely culprit is.  So if you're not
sure if you need a bunch of these services, turn one off, make sure
everything you need that might have been using it still works, then turn
the next one off, and so forth.

> tcp        0      0
> *:sunrpc                *:*                     LISTEN      78/portmap

	Sun networking again.  If you're not using it, turn it off.
Same for the rpc-statd.

> tcp        0      0
> *:6000                  *:*                     LISTEN      253/X

	See the URL on making X not listen on a port.

> tcp        0      0
> *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN      199/exim

	If you're running a mail server such that you need to recieve
mail directly to this machine, leave it as it is.  Otherwise, set exim
to only listen locally.

> I'll be reading up on getting X to stop listening to the outside world,
> apparently, since I can't imagine wanting to serve X connections from here
> more than once in a while.  Do I need the font server?  I had trouble
> getting X to work without it, so I just ran it and everything was happy,
> but I got the impression that it wasn't really needed for a personal
> machine... maybe I misread the docs.

	You do want the font server, so that you can have fonts working
properly for your local machine, just like you do want to keep the X
server so that you can have X working for your local machine.  This is
mostly a problem grown out of the way that computing in Unix has evolved
-- when Xwindows was written, a common setup was to have one machine
doing most of the processing and a bunch of dumb terminals using its X
and XFS power.  Nowadays it's common to only have the one machine you're
on needing to access X and XFS.  So you do still need the server (as far
as I know -- if someone knows a way to do it without, please do speak
up) -- it's just that it's only serving the one machine it's on.

> I'm curious now, though, so I'm going to poke my server and see what it's
> running...  netstat to follow, perhaps...

	Glad everything on your server was something you knew about --
go you!  [grin]

Cheers,
Raven

"Sed, sed, awk.  Like duck, duck, goose.  Sync, sync, halt.  It's the
 order of nature."
  -- me, after too long a day at work