[Courses] [Security] Apropos of nothing...

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Tue Mar 5 19:14:37 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth April (Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 02:34:14PM -0600):
> Yes!!  My biggest problems with learning anything Linux is that I can't get
> search results for "nothing happens" or "how to do such and such".

	Learning the language when you first start something can be very
difficult.  Have you come across the command "apropos" yet?  That can
sometimes give you man pages for related topics.  For instance, on my
2.2 kernel box:

[root at linuxbox /root]# man firewall
No manual entry for firewall
[root at linuxbox /root]# apropos firewall
ipchains (8)         - IP firewall administration
ipchains-restore (8) - restore IP firewall chains from stdin
ipchains-save (8)    - save IP firewall chains to stdout
ipfw (4)             - IP firewall
ipfwadm-wrapper (8)  - IP firewall administration
[root at linuxbox /root]# man ipchains

[produces the expected man page]

	And yes, more exposure will help too.

Cheers,
Raven

"I am so very girly."
  -- RavenBlack, on 'feminine' and 'masculine' traits