[Courses] [C] Current topic: variables in C.

Mary linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sun Jun 9 18:04:57 EST 2002

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 03:32:05PM +1000, Mary wrote:
> For our first discussion: variables in C.

For people with the original course's textbook, Practical C Programming,
here are some chapters of the textbook you might like to look at for
this week's topic. Don't do the whole lot! Pick 1 or 2 that are at your
current level.

Relevant chapters in Practical C Programming seem to include (I'm
working from the table of contents at
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pcp3/toc.html):

Introductory:

Chapter 4: Basic Declarations and Expressions. Variables and Storage,
Variable Declarations, Integers, Floating Point and Characters

Chapter 5: Arrays, Qualifiers, and Reading Numbers. Arrays, Strings,
Multidimensional Arrays, Initializing Variables, Types of Integers,
Types of Floats

More advanced:

Chapter 9: Variable Scope and Functions.  Scope and Class, Functions,
Recursion

Chapter 12: Advanced Types. Structures, Unions, typedef, enum, Type
Casting, Bit Fields or Packed Structures, Arrays of Structures

Chapter 13: Simple Pointers. Pointers as Function Arguments, Pointers
and Arrays, Pointers and Structures

Chapter 16: Floating Point.

Pretty damn advanced:

Chapter 17: Advanced Pointers.

Note that some of this stuff will come up again as its own topic:
especially arrays, functions and pointers. The chapter 17 stuff (data
structures like lists and trees) would be great exercises for people who
are confident with pointers, but would be better off in their own course
if it turns out that enough people are interested.

-Mary.