[Courses] [Basics] Dear participants...

Liz Young liz at kandew.net
Sat Apr 6 19:51:38 EST 2002

On Saturday 06 April 2002 04:12 am, you wrote:

** Reposting to the list (I keep forgetting to "Reply All")

> As you may have noticed, the first lessons are mainly about basic facts
> you need to know, and some Tcl syntax to be able to illustrate those
> facts with simple examples. I want to show you the building blocks and
> tools before things get more complex.

Works for me :-)  Halfway through #2, and I'm not lost yet.  I like the links
to documentation (but I wish I had more time to read).  That "man n" tip is a
goodie!

> After that, I want to use real, useful and working scripts as examples as
> soon as possible. I'd therefore like to know: what kind of scripts do you
> need or would you like to have? What recurring tasks would be great to
> have scripts do for you? What can be automated in your daily work? And,
> out of sheer curiousity: why do you want to learn to program, what future
> projects do you have in mind?

Hmmm, how about a script to gather up some log files off of the 3 Linux and 1
win2k box on my LAN?...  and put 'em all together in some kinda readable
format... and maybe highlight some keywords... or send an alert if keyword is
found... or something like that :)

I had a winbatch program on my old firewall that logged the uptime of the WAN
connection, with a companion script that did the math and returned totals and
uptime in % for me.  Can I do that in tcl?

Ultimately, I want to learn some C++ and QT, so I can play with the kids on
some of the KDE projects -- well, maybe they're not all kids, but it sure
seems like it to me!   But first, I just want to learn to structure and
comment things properly... and those three things you mentioned first time
out.

Thanks Sonja!

-Liz